Sunday, November 26, 2006

ornamental

Each year since I was a wee one, my Mom would buy me a special ornament for the holiday season. It was one thing I knew would happen and that I could look forward to before Christmas even rolled around. It usually came cheerfully wrapped at the same time we put up our tree each year. The ornament was always thoughtfully chosen and usually reflected my interests at the time or something that was going on in my life. When I moved out I got all of the ornaments for a tree of my own. They run the gamut from a silver cat in a stocking engraved with my name and 1976 (which was my first Christmas) to a little blonde Brownie, to a collection of adorable Snowbabies ornaments. Some of my most recent ornaments include a bride and groom with 3-1-2003 written at the base (for Josh and my wedding anniversary) and last year's ornament which is the front door of a house that says New Home and has our last name and street address hand written on it to celebrate the acquisition of the first home of our own.

When the family came over for Thanksgiving dinner this year, my Mom came with the very last ornament for us. The tradition ends this year—although it will be carried on whole-heartedly with the baby from us so that one day he may have a collection of memories to call his own. It's somewhat bittersweet, but I understand. I am 30 and this tradition could have ended long ago. I'm grateful to have all of these ornaments and each year when we put up the tree a flood of memories come rushing back as I carefully find a spot for each glimpse into my life. But, my Mom never disappoints and this may be the best ornament to date. It's certainly one that I'll never forget.


How appropriate and adorable is this? The book the "father" is reading says Parents To-Be and as you can see, the other book says 2006. The "mother" hen is sitting on her egg, happy as can be knitting a little bootie. This is so awesome. Thanks Mom, we love it.

10 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

My mom was the same way...wait a minute...she still is but she is a little more crafty now...she just made on for my husband & I "our first Christmas"...it's cute but we don't have a tree yet.

7:00 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

What a mom!
That is awesome!
That is too cute!

8:10 PM  
Blogger Fantastagirl said...

My mom did the same for my siblings and I - we love it. She still gives us an special ornament each year, and gives to our kids as well. I have so much fun decorating the tree remembering when I got each ornament, and who they were from.

I hope that you continue this for your child(ren).

8:59 PM  
Blogger Dawn @ Bent, not broken said...

I love this post!! How thoughtful of your mom! And now the tradition continues! And it's funny too, because yesterday I just bought an ornament for our son's second Christmas. I never realized that I started some sort of tradition now too. LOL

11:32 PM  
Blogger Naynayfazz said...

That is such a sweet and adorable ornament. Wow, they make an ornament for every occasion, huh? My boyfriend and I have gotten a new ornament every year since we started living together (2004) and we plan on doing it until we have kids. It is a very special thing to do.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Lynda said...

My mom did that too. I think it ended for us after our first Christmas together. We have gotten some of the ornaments but my mom kept some also.

Hmmm...maybe I should get Calem an ornament.

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd have loved a tradition like that.

The ornament your Mom chosen this year is very very appropriate. She did an awesome job.

2:22 PM  
Blogger Cupcake Blonde said...

That is adorable!

My grandmother did this for me as well. And I have started the tradition for my husband and I. every year we each get to pick one new ornament for our tree.

11:18 PM  
Blogger Carla said...

What a great tradition. I think I'll have to steal it.

1:17 PM  
Blogger cerberus70 said...

I enjoy reading your wee one blog, it often reminds me of all the great things about being a parent.

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home