Saturday, September 23, 2006

ch...ch...ch...changes

Everybody says that your life changes the moment you have children, but I don't think that's the case. I think your life actually changes the moment you find out you (or your partner) are pregnant. At least mine has.

From the day we found out about the wee one, things have been different, both psychologically and physically. For example, one of the first things I did when I found out I was pregnant was give up caffeine. Now, that's saying a lot coming from a girl who drank two or three cups of coffee every morning. It wasn't easy, but it was necessary. Josh changed his coffee habits too. Instead of us making a pot of coffee at home each morning, Josh waits until he gets to work to have his cup(s) o' joe. He'll still make a pot on Saturday and Sunday mornings at home, but it's a huge change from what we used to do. And he does it out of respect for me. He's kind enough to think of me and doesn't make it so I don't have to smell it or be tempted by it.

There are quite a few other food related changes I've had to make in my life: no cold cuts, no soft cheeses, watch the fish consumption, make sure I'm getting an adequate amount of calcium in my diet, etc. Oh, and eating breakfast again—every day. That's a habit that I had really gotten out of and would solely subsist on my morning coffee until the afternoon. Now that's changed.

It's odd how much better you want to take care of yourself—both mentally and physically—when you know someone else is depending on you. Not that I didn't take good care of myself before, but now, we take even better care of ourselves. It's no longer just about us two—we have another human completely depending on us to give them a healthy "home", now and after they're born. And that's is what is really important to us now.

So, while I'm sure our lives will change even more when the wee one arrives, for us the process has already begun.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

My mom likes to quote those commercials (are they Johnson&Johnson or...Gerber..? whatever)

"Having a baby changes everything."

11:01 AM  
Blogger Cupcake Blonde said...

I am worried about the no caffinee thing...I do not think I can survive without caffinee. Which is why I have a problem sticking with the diet that helps to keep my acid reflux a bay...

8:33 PM  
Blogger The Boy said...

Ha I love that first moment when you see the ultrasound. It makes it all so real.

From 9 months before the first until a year after the last we changed our diet, stopped drinking (well, much anyway), turned healthy... I changed mine too (did you know alchohol consumption by the male prior to conception can make a difference?) Our bad old habits have mostly returned, but I think we've kept some of the new good ones.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Lynda said...

You're husband sounds great! I am glad he is so supportive of you and your no caffeine rule.

Can you do decaf?

12:36 PM  
Blogger Lisa Armsweat said...

You both sound like you are doing great...actually, I think I mean to say the three of you all sound like you're doing great! Keep up the good no-caffeine work and know you're in my prayers. Have fun! :)

5:50 PM  
Blogger Dawn @ Bent, not broken said...

Much Kudos to you!!! You and your husband actually! It's beyond difficult to give up caffeine. When I was pregnant with my first I gave it up almost completely. Once in a while a can of soda (bad stuff I know) but only on the days i was really dragging. And now that i'm pregnant again I find myself doing the same thing. I don't remember the 1st trimester making me so damn tired!! lol And no matter how much sleep I get it's the same problem. Ooooops..I'm rambling too much. LOL
Anywho, I will visit your blog often. I'm over at "Round Two". Thanks for visiting mine btw! Take it easy! =)

12:35 AM  
Blogger M. said...

I totally agree. Life for us changed immediately too and even more so after our first u/s. Very exciting and scary times!

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home