Tuesday, January 23, 2007

the hospital tour

On Sunday, Josh and I went to the hospital for our tour of the maternity ward. There were lots of other couples there for the same reason and they ended up splitting us into two groups to accommodate all of us. Our tour guide ended up being the woman who teaches our childbirth classes so it was great to have a familiar face to listen to and ask questions.

We headed up to the maternity ward on the third floor and our first stop was the "Skylight" area where those who aren't part of your support team in labor await the arrival of the little one. It was a nice, brightly lit area full of cushy looking seats, lots of windows, nearby restrooms, and vending machines. I'm sure my Mom will be comfy there when I get to the pushing stage of labor and kick her out of the birthing room.

The next stop was the labor and delivery area. Just as we approached I had an overwhelming feeling of "Crap. This is really real isn't it?" Josh laughed, because, um...isn't having a baby growing inside of you real enough? But this was a different kind of real—an I'm almost at the point of having to get this baby out of me real. Yikes! The room was fantastic. Very private and HUGE! Hardwood floors, 2 rockers and a recliner, private bathroom with a stand in shower equipped with a stool and a shower wand, dresser, armoire, CD player, temperature controls, a warming area for right after the baby is born, lots of equipment hidden away behind french doors, and of course the labor bed. We have access to a birthing ball and a squatting bar for the bed (both of which we intend on trying). The lighting is nice and subdued—with lots of bright recessed lamps in the ceiling for when we are in full swing of things and plenty of area to move around the room.

Then we went to the recovery area. Small, but private and enough. There's a bed, a TV, a couple of chairs, dresser, and private bathroom with a shower. What more do you really need? We were told that if there are lots of women in recovery at the same time, we may start out in a double room but will be moved asap to a private room. Good. I don't want to share a room with anyone else.

Nearby was the nurses station and right next to it was an area they call the "Nourishment Center". Basically it's a little kitchenette equipped with a juice machine, coffee pot, microwave, and fridge. It's for the patients to keep a sandwich or two in, get ice chips, juice, coffee, etc., and heat up any food we may have brought from home or gotten from the cafeteria.

All-in-all the hospital made a great impression on me, and although a bit frightening, I feel that much more prepared for the big day.

12 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

wow- I had no idea they provided such luxuries these days...

10:30 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Hi Pixie:
I delivered our daughter in a maternity ward just like that. Also, my labor was induced (I was 11 days late) and I was so scared the night before that I cried like a child. My husband couldn't tell me it wouldn't hurt, because he didn't know.

When you're scared, please remember you're not alone and so many people have done this - and a lot of us are total weanies. Seriously, just remember we are with you in spirit.

Oh, and the Percocet after the delivery is kinda nice too.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Dawn Oglesby said...

Dude, we go this Sunday and I might just cry. It's becoming too real. I know exactly how you feel. I can't wait to meet this baby but then I sort of wish he'd just stay put for a little while longer. I'm SKEERED.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Dawn @ Bent, not broken said...

That hospital sounds awesome!!! It sounds like your going to be in wonderful hands!!! And remember (I wish I had known this ahead of time with the first one) your nurse is the one who you'll see and deal with the most. And those ladies are also wonderful. They'll do whatever they can to make you comfortable. And when the contractions are painful and you choose to not use epidural, just know that each contraction pushes that baby further and further down. Picture that while in labor (the baby going lower and lower) and afterwards you'll realize that time didn't really stand still during all of it. In fact, it actually flies by. LOL You'll get through it!!! C'mon you're a woman!! You're built for this! LOL Ok, that's my two cents. LOL

12:16 AM  
Blogger The Frog Princess said...

The hospital sounds wonderful! I'm wishing you a quick and as-painless-as-humanly-possible labor!

Big hugs for you pixie! I know you can do it!

12:45 AM  
Blogger Lynda said...

Wow, almost makes me wish I was having a baby. Almost.

3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pixie - you are going to do wonderful. Yes, it's scary. I cried when I started having contractions (and I was alone). Your hubby will be a great support.

When it's over, you will be like, "I AM WOMAN! HEAR ME ROARRRR!"

Luv Ya,
AC(W)P

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pixie - you are going to do wonderful. Yes, it's scary. I cried when I started having contractions (and I was alone). Your hubby will be a great support.

When it's over, you will be like, "I AM WOMAN! HEAR ME ROARRRR!"

Luv Ya,
AC(W)P

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pixie - you are going to do wonderful. Yes, it's scary. I cried when I started having contractions (and I was alone). Your hubby will be a great support.

When it's over, you will be like, "I AM WOMAN! HEAR ME ROARRRR!"

Luv Ya,
AC(W)P

3:51 PM  
Blogger ads510 said...

i know what you mean on things suddenly seeming "real"...we finally packed the hospital bag yesterday and installed the car seats. now i'm just waiting on this baby to get here!

11:42 AM  
Blogger egan said...

We go on a hospital visit this Thursday. Should be nice to get the lay of the land.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Cupcake Blonde said...

Wow, if they had a hospital with that kind of set up near me I might have to consider having a baby just so I could use that room. It sounds wonderful!

1:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home