Sunday, June 03, 2007

sucky parenting moment #26

Three words. Two month shots.

Wednesday, Gideon had his two month checkup. He is progressing beautifully and once again the doctor commented on how great his skin looked. Um, we're bathing him? I don't know what kind of skeevy skinned babies are coming into that office, but apparently us washing him a few times a week with Johnson's Baby Wash is more than some are doing. After the basic checkup portion we moved on the part I had been dreading—the shots.

Not the shot, but the shots. As in plural. As in three separate shots in my poor baby's unknowing little thighs. It happened really fast and the nurse was great but Gideon cried so hard. The kind of cry where they don't even make any noise it's so bad. The kind of cry that when sound does come out it's like a bleat of a lamb and is accompanied by a bright red face. Then there were little drops of blood surfacing on his thighs. The nurse put on the band-aids and we were done. I picked him up and held him close to me to console him. That's when I started crying. It's heartwrenching to see your baby in pain.


Once I got him settled down I put him in his carrier and he looked at me like, "What the hell woman?" I told him, "Hey, don't look at me like that, I had nothing to do with it." Which made him smile (and then made me smile). He fell asleep in the car and I thought to myself, "This isn't so bad. What a little champ."

I was wrong. He ended up being fussy all day. Only wanted to be held or eat the majority of the rest of the day. Sleeping was minimal. Around 10 o'clock we thought he was out for the evening and he started to cry that little lamb cry again. I picked him out of his crib and the back of his head resting on my arm felt like a little ball of fire. We checked his temperature and...100.6°. Holy Crap! What do I do? That's when I started crying again. My poor little baby. I stripped him down to his onesie and brought him into our bedroom with the ceiling fan. Josh got me a cool washcloth and I wiped him down with it. I laid down with him on my chest and Josh by my side. Within a half an hour his fever had broke and he was out like a light.

"Why aren't you holding me, woman? Put that camera away and pick me up!"

On Thursday the only evidence that remained were three bandaids—Snoopy, Scooby Doo, and Spongebob.

Stats:
Head: 39.75 cm (70%)
Height: 23" (55%)
Weight: 12# 1oz (65%)

8 Comments:

Blogger Lara said...

The 2 month shots were the worst, I cried too when my son got his ;)
It's easier for the 4 month and 6 month shots, although for the 6 month shots, I swear my son got ANGRY!!
It sometimes takes a few days to get past the effects. Blah, so not a fun parent thing to have to go through!

6:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw... that is so sad. When you said he started to cry so hard where no sound was coming out, I kind of got a lump in my throat. I felt for you at that moment. I, too, would be so sad.

His legs are SO. DARN. CUTE. I love the bandaids. It is a nice touch to make me giggle.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Kym said...

The shots are the worst... I have to let Tim hold Kenslee since it just breaks my heart to be there when she gets shots. Also, give him some baby tylenol before you go to the dr's, that should help right away. and have a bottle nearby, and once they start eating crackers, bring them! Kenslee will forget all about the pain when she is holding a bottle or a wagon wheel cracker thingy... he is getting so big, I can't believe he's 10 weeks already!

7:56 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Oh! Everybody I hear from talks about how bad those are! I think you both handled it as well as could be expected. I hurt for both of you!

8:43 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

Isn't it crazy how big the needles are too? The shots don't get any better either. We distract her like Kym said, but there's always a few minutes of terror.

8:13 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

At least you vaccinated him, which, despite the tears, is the best thing you can do for a child. It drives me nuts when parents opt not to vaccinate their children because of some cockamamie bullshit they heard on the internets. You're a good mom!

9:49 AM  
Blogger Cupcake Blonde said...

I hate shots myself, I can imagine how horrible they were for little Gideon. Poor guy! But he was a champ and much braver than I would have been.

12:23 AM  
Blogger Lynda said...

Calem actually had skin problems when he was a baby, and he was bathed too! :) Mostly it was his scalp. I think he had cradle cap or as I call it, cradle crap.

I am glad those two month shots are over for him. You didn't cry? Every mom I hear of says they cry with those shots.

1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home